All of the beach is public, from the ocean to the dunes. Access to the beach, however, is private from the Shipyard Beach Club.
Parking is available at the Shipyard Beach Club and on Barcelona Road. You may use the Shipyard Beach Shuttle daily from Memorial Day – Labor Day, 9am-5pm, from Barcelona Road to the Beach Club for free rides.
HANDICAP BEACH ACCESS
Handicapped Beach Access is available at the Shipyard Beach Club. Two companies that rent beach-ready wheelchairs are Hilton Head Outfitters 866-380-1783 or Vacation Mobility Solutions 843-684-1220.
PROTECTING THE BEACH
The beach is the main attraction on Hilton Head Island. Beaches provide different wildlife a home. We have many native species that rely on our beaches and oceans, including dwarf live oak, prickly pear cactus, sea oats, six-lined racerunner lizards and Spanish bayonet.
Living near the ocean can offer hazards that some don’t think about, like the damages salt spray can cause. Dune vegetation can protect your house and landscape from damaging salt spray. They also provide storm barriers that protect from the effects of wave energy, and can store storm water between the dune peaks to minimize flooding. We need to protect our beach-dune system and encourage the formation of new dunes.
Please note that while the resort is private, the beach is public and is under the jurisdiction of the Town of Hilton Head Island.
BEACH RULES & REGULATIONS
The Beaufort County Sheriff’s Department patrols the beaches and enforces all beach regulations. Violators of beach regulations are subject to fines up to $500 per each offense.
The following are PROHIBITED on all beaches:
- Alcoholic liquor, beer, wine
- Glass (bottles, containers, etc.)
- Indecent exposure (nudity)
- Disorderly conduct
- Disturbing the peace
- Unauthorized vehicles
- Fires and Fireworks
- Shark Fishing
Removal, harming, or harassment of any beach fauna (sea turtles, sand dollars, conchs, starfish, etc.) is not allowed. This includes:
- Removal, alteration, or damage to dunes, sea oats, or other dune flora
- Operation, launching, or landing of unauthorized motorized watercraft
- Unauthorized commercial activity
- Sleeping on the beach between midnight and 6am
- Unauthorized wearing of lifeguard emblems, insignias, etc.
- Solicitation or distribution of handouts
- Kites not under manual control
- Stunt kites 10am-6pm April 1 through September 30
For the added protection of sunbathers and swimmers, the following activities are prohibited in Designated Swimming Areas between 10am and 6pm April 1 through September 30:
- Fishing or surfcasting
- Surfboards, boogie boards, etc.
- Frisbees or other team sports involving a ball
- Games with metal components
Animals on the Beach
- Are not permitted
- Between 10am and 5pm Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day
- Must be on a leash:
- Between 10am and 5pm April 1 through Thursday before Memorial Day
- Must be on leash or under positive voice control at all other times.
- Between 10am and 5pm Tuesday after Labor Day through September 30
- Persons in control of animals on the beach are required to remove and properly dispose of the animal’s excrement.